Technology Partners help to deliver competent computer instruction and/or provide efficient technical support to Atlanta Habitat homeowners with the goal of ‘bridging the digital divide.”
In 2008, Atlanta Habitat launched a technology program intended to ensure that each Atlanta Habitat homeowner owns a home computer. Thanks to a generous grant, we are able to provide new laptop computers for our homeowners after they attend out Computer Basics Class. The Computer Basics Class is 4 hours and covers a broad array of topics and is targeted to homeowners with limited computer experience.
- Technology Partners are needed to assist homeowners during the Computer Basic Class, to ensure the homeowner is comfortable with the new technology and to answer questions during class.
- The Computer Basic Class is offered every other month at the Atlanta Habitat office from 9am – 1pm on a Saturday.
- Advanced Computer Classes will be offered every other month beginning March 2015. We will be seeking Technology Partners with a high level of experience in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint. These classes will last 2 hours.
- Technology Partners are expected to attend two classes during a 6 month period.
- Meetings are held once a year for training, planning and evaluation purposes at the Atlanta Habitat office.
We ask all Technology Partners to commit to serving for at least 6 months.
Training and Support:
- Volunteers attend a new volunteer orientation.
- Volunteers attend called meetings and training
- All key volunteers are screened using the sex offender registry and, if listed, may be disqualified from volunteering with Atlanta Habitat
- All volunteers are required to sign a confidentiality agreement and waiver of liability
- Passion and enthusiasm for Atlanta Habitat’s mission.
- Good working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable working closely with Atlanta Habitat homeowners.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- These classes will be offered in both English and Spanish, so fluency in Spanish is a plus.