Home Smart Assistant
Home Smart Assistants provide general support at classes that are designed to make homeownership a successful and rewarding experience for Atlanta Habitat homebuyers.
Atlanta Habitat homebuyers attend 12 Home Smart classes during a first year occupancy period as a requirement for closing on their homes. The Home Smart program has 11 classes that are required, and homebuyers may choose the other class from a list of electives.
The required classes are
- Intro to Homeownership
- HOME Room I (a home repair and maintenance class)
- Community Involvement
- Crime Prevention
- Energy Use in Your Home
- Your Mortgage
Some examples of electives that have been offered in the past are
- Emergency Preparedness and Fire Safety
- Investment and Retirement Planning
- Decorating on a Budget
Outline of Responsibilities:
- Register the homebuyers that attend the classes
- Make copies of classroom materials and tabulate sweat equity hours
- Support the course instructors as needed.
- Additional duties, prep for special classes, mass mailings, phone calls
Classes are generally held on Saturday mornings from 9-10:30 am and Tuesday evenings from 7-8:30 pm. Volunteers should report 30 minutes before a class begins, and plan on staying for an additional 30 minutes after it ends. Other class times may be offered as needed.
We ask all Home Smart Assistants to commit to working an average of at least one class per month, and to serve as a volunteer in this capacity for at least six months.
Training and Support:
- Volunteers attend a new volunteer orientation
- Volunteers receive specific job related instructions immediately prior to their first shift
- Passion and enthusiasm for Atlanta Habitat’s mission
- Good customer service skills
Contact Jody Klein, Family Services Education Coordinator, at 404-223-5180 ext. 177 or Jody.Klein@atlantahabitat.org to sign-up to volunteer for a class.