General Construction Volunteer
We ask that all of our individual volunteers first come to an orientation. The volunteer orientation will provide you with an understanding of Atlanta Habitat's program, information on how to get started, and answer any questions you might have. Orientations are offered 2 – 3 times monthly on Wednesday or Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings and last approximately one hour.
To register for an orientation:
Go to the volunteer registration website at www.atlantahabitat.volunteerhub.com
Create an account by clicking Register.
- Select a user name and password
- Enter your join code: ORIENTATION
- Input your contact information.
- Follow the prompts to complete your registration.
Please contact Libby McDermott at 404-223-5180 ext. 107 or email@example.com if you have any questions about registering for an orientation or if you are unable to view the upcoming orientation schedule.
For any given Saturday we start scheduling construction volunteers two weeks in advance, and continue doing so until all of the spots are filled. Space is limited. After all of the available spots have been filled you will have the option to sign up for a “wait list”, which will cover any cancellations and/or unexpected needs. Volunteers on the wait list will be notified the Thursday afternoon or Friday morning before the build as to whether or not they will be needed.
To sign up, please log onto atlantahabitat.volunteerhub.com. If you have any questions, please contact Libby McDermott, at 404-223-5180 ext. 107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure that you are on the schedule before going out to a site. Although we wish we could accommodate everyone, for safety reasons, we do keep tabs on the number of volunteers at each site to prevent overstaffing.
In the event that you are scheduled to volunteer, but are no longer able to participate, please contact us as soon as possible so we are able to find another volunteer to fill your spot.
General Construction Volunteers work on our construction sites to help build affordable homes for working families in the City of Atlanta and Fulton County.
Outline of Volunteer Responsibilities:
- Working on construction-related tasks with the homebuyer and other volunteers
- Following safety guidelines
- Reporting directly to the Atlanta Habitat staff person at the site
Atlanta Habitat builds take place every Saturday (excluding major holiday weekends) from 8 am to 4 pm at sites located throughout the City of Atlanta and Fulton County. Other build days are scheduled as needed.
Volunteers must be able to commit to the entire 8 hour shift (8am - 4pm).
Training and Support:
- Volunteers will receive a confirmation email once they sign up on Volunteer Hub with links to the “Rules to Build By” and “Release and Waiver” Documents
- Volunteers receive direction and support from Atlanta Habitat construction staff and Volunteer Skilled Supervisors
- Atlanta Habitat provides lunch and all of the tools and supplies needed for a build
- This is a “REAL” construction site- Be prepared to work hard and get dirty
- Able and willing to take directions and do things the “Habitat” way
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Volunteers must sign a Release and Waiver of Liability before working
- No prior construction experience is needed