Volunteer Skilled Supervisor
Objective:Volunteer Skilled Supervisors (VSS) play an integral role on Atlanta Habitat build sites by leading small groups of volunteers on construction-related tasks and serving as an ambassador for the organization.
Outline of Volunteer Responsibilities:
- Ensure volunteers understand and follow safety guidelines
- Lead small groups of volunteers and teach them the necessary skills to accomplish the construction-related tasks for which you are responsible
- Work alongside the volunteers assigned to you (make sure they’re working with you and not just watching)
- Understand that VSS are a primary contact that many volunteers have with Atlanta Habitat, so you are an ambassador who impacts their perception of the organization and their continued support of its mission
- Ensure a positive volunteer experience for all (i.e. treat volunteers with respect and kindness, make sure they feel that their time is used productively and they have made a difference, facilitate interaction with the homebuyer family, etc.)
- Educate volunteers about Atlanta Habitat’s mission and key messages and direct them to other informational resources such as the website, Atlanta Habitat staff members, the sandwich boards located on the build sites, etc.
- Report any volunteer problems/concerns to the Atlanta Habitat staff person on site (the Houseleader) or to the Director of Construction
Schedule:Atlanta Habitat builds take place every Saturday (excluding major holiday weekends) from 8 am to 4 pm at sites located throughout the City of Atlanta and Fulton County. Other build days are scheduled as needed.
Time Commitment:One build day per month for at least one year.
Training and Support:
- Work as a general construction volunteer for 3 build days to understand Atlanta Habitat and our construction systems.
- Shadow an experienced VSS for an additional 3 build days, or until you and the supervisor both feel that you are ready to lead groups of volunteers on your own
- Report directly to the Houseleader on site
- Attend regular training sessions (approximately two per year on weeknights)
Qualifications:While no prior construction experience is needed to serve as a VSS, you must:
- Have passion and enthusiasm for Atlanta Habitat’s mission
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead small groups
- Show the desire and willingness to learn
- Be 18 years or older
- Sign a Release and Waiver of Liability form annually
Getting Started:We ask that all of our individual volunteers first come to an orientation. The volunteer orientation will provide you with an understanding of Atlanta Habitat's program, information on how to get started, and answer any questions you might have. Orientations are offered 2 – 3 times monthly on Wednesday or Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings and last approximately one hour.
To register for an orientation:
Go to the volunteer registration website at www.atlantahabitat.volunteerhub.com
Create an account by clicking Register.
- Select a user name and password
- Enter your join code: ORIENTATION
- Input your contact information.
- Follow the prompts to complete your registration.
Contact Libby McDermott at 404-223-5180 ext. 107 or email@example.com if you have any questions about registering for an orientation or if you are unable to view the upcoming orientation schedule.
After you’ve worked on an Atlanta Habitat build site as a general construction volunteer for at least 3 build days, contact Libby McDermott at 404-223-5180 ext. 107 or firstname.lastname@example.org. She will help match you with an experienced VSS to being your shadowing experience.